Scope of the Project
The works generally consist of the construction of approximately 20km of the second carriageway between Athi River and Machakos Turnoff with the following major components:
- Earthworks comprised mainly of medium height embankment construction, excavation and backfilling for unsuitable material.
- Provision of new box and pipe culverts with appropriate inlet and outlet features and
- Scour protection works.
- Construction of 2 new river bridges (Athi and Stony Athi).
- Construction of 3 new interchange bridges.
- Construction of 3 new pedestrian footbridges.
- Construction of Road Pavement to Bituminous layers.
- Road furniture, road markings and other miscellaneous works.
- Street lighting.Rectification of defects affecting completed road for a period of 12 months.
Description of the Project
The project road is a section of the A8 (formerly A109) national highway in Kenya. Generally, the Project is construction of the second carriageway of the Athi River – Machakos Turnoff Section of Nairobi – Mombasa Road (A8).
It is situated in Machakos County in the Eastern Province of Kenya. The project road lies between the urban centres of Athi River and Machakos Turnoff (Kyumvi).